Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to build a log home? Typically, in this area, we see log homes built for around $250 a square foot, turn-key. This is a home with nice finishes, but not over the top. How you finish the home (flooring, counter tops, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, cabinets, etc.) is really what can drive this cost. This estimate does not include land related costs such as excavation, putting in a road, well, septic, etc. as this can vary significantly depending on where you are building and what your land is like.
- Do you build or construct log homes? No, Log Homes of America, offers no construction services. Some of our independent representatives are a 'one stop shop' so to speak though. Depending on your location we may have builder or dry-in contacts. We can offer to come out with the log package delivery to provide your builder technical assistance on the job on day one. If additional technical assistance is needed, we will work together to find the best course of action.
- Do you supply any framing material? We do not supply any of the dimensional framing material. This material is readily available at any building materials store in the country. You/your builders can purchase the material cheaper than what it would cost for us to provide it.
- How long does it take to build a log home? Highly dependent on the weather, complexity of the home and experience of the home builder, you are probably looking at 9-12 months.
- What species of wood do you use? We use Eastern White Pine for the wall logs and Western Douglas Fir for the structural timbers. Other species are available upon request.
- Do you accept changes to your floor plans? Custom Plans? Absolutely! Nearly half of our clients have a custom design, the other half start with a standard plan and modify it to what they want.
- What is a heavy timber roof system? Our typical heavy timber roof system consists of Douglas Fir Rafters, white pine tongue and groove, 7 1/4" polystyrene R-38 insulation panels laminated to OSB (followed by your house wrap and roofing cover). Your building location dictates the size rafters and tongue and groove needed.
- Do you offer financing? We do not offer financing. We always recommend to start with your current bank/credit union and depending on your location, we may be able to guide you in the right direction.